Final statement to shed some clarity on the situation to everyone who wants to know wtf is going on:
- I was making a webcomic and putting it out for free. I had an unfortunately large fanbase was people who shit talk me, sexually harass me, dehumanize me, and were incessantly shitting on my comic and feeding rumors about me and trying to dig into my personal life and even were trying to deliberately fucking with my life offline and trying get close to me to leak information about me to show the internet how “cringe” I was (it’s been ongoing for years from various groups).
- I decided, “why am I putting out a comic for free, making myself available, and giving these people access to me?” Especially as I was on the verge of homelessness because housing loans never came in while in school, my health is on the decline due to a nationwide doctor shortage, and other issues physically outside my control. Why subject myself to online harassment for sharing for free?
- So I decided to remove my comic and at a future date would put it behind a paywall instead. That was it. That was all I did. It was 100% a decision to put boundaries between people trying to hurt me, to take back control and agency because people who want to support me would pay for it and those who didn’t wouldn't have access.
- Certain parts of the internet (*4chan cough*) went ballistic over this. Ranting about how I was a bitch, “letting haters win and feeding them” (because yes, any setting of boundaries will be perceived by abusers as a threat and giving them attention), “other artists ignore the haters why can’t I”, I was mentally ill, schizophrenic, all of this was “e-celeb drama” that “was blowing up because all I do is have breakdowns and start drama” when in reality I was simply saying, no more of this.
- There was no drama, only a setting of boundaries.
- A bunch of man children were throwing a tantrum because they felt entitled to me, my work, my time, my body, and wanted me to stay available so they can have the best of both worlds: Get free art from me, and to deliberately abuse me into mental breakdowns for entertainment as well as to validate their hatred of me or women or whatever personal shit they have going on. They were/are stomping their feet because I wanted to set boundaries that MOST artists have. I can’t do donations because of the nature of my art means i’d be easily reportable and taken down, but the option to use a problematic art friendly service to put up a pdf of my comic seemed like a good solution.
- That was all that happened. Anyone that tries to claim otherwise is blowing it out of proportion for a self serving purpose of fabricating drama.
- After that, I guess in an attempt to own me, someone began leaking my comic and also messages I shared about beliefs I’m not ashamed of and 1000% not interested in justifying to strangers (literally if it’s not causing harm who tf cares) to try to isolate and shame me further.
- Whoever did it, or whatever people leaked these, it was both to get back at me as punishment for wanting to respect my art as a skill I deserved to make money from, as well as to isolate me further because I guess shaming me to a board of people who want to hurt me is “getting me help”. Which, I am 1000% lucid and in reality, enough so to know you’re all full of shit in your justifications. But EVEN IF someone was schizophrenic, how is putting them in harm’s way “helping”? How is isolating and feeding trust issues helping? If a mentally ill person does have delusions and they aren’t a harm to themselves or other people, it is not your fucking business, move the fuck on.
- I am completely at a loss for how to process this level of abuse and gaslighting. Completely at a loss. But this happens a lot, especially whenever I've tried to set boundaries, go figure. It felt like leaving an abusive relationship.
- I won’t be around to see what anyone has to say and frankly I don’t want to know. I already know people will make up their stories because pretending this was A Thing will give them entertainment for the week, dehumanizing me is a fun circle jerk because this is the world you want to live in. You’ve made your decision, I made mine. I don’t want to be part of this side of the world.
- I’m not “coming back in a week”. I have taken 6 month and year long hiatuses only to find people waiting with baited breath for me to return and dig up new aliases to viciously go after me. To make sure I never live a life outside the “drama” narrative they fabricated for me. Enough is enough.
- I am 1000% done because I am sick of this abusive relationship that my stalkers and those who obsess over me want and I am choosing to not be re-victimized by any of you. I am walking away. Whatever happens with my life, wherever I go next, it will not be where people can have this sort of access to harm me ever again. My boundaries were repetitively broken down over the years and while narratives and rumors are “I did it to myself”. I absolutely I did not. Corporate social media grooms people to give out information about themselves, I was pushed to be open about my identity when I was bedridden and needed help because I was too sick to walk, I was punished for wanting to keep information about myself hidden, and I always had malicious people out with intent to hurt me and it started a chain reaction of years of abuse. I could easily explain away every rumor about me, but no one wants to hear truth, they just want to cherry pick then shit talk me as Captain Hindsight for why I didn't do x or y. It's quite frankly, pathetic.
- I only stuck around on the internet as long as I did because so many people said my work meant something to them and that touched me, and I wanted to give that to people who were feeling shamed and too scared to be themselves and express themselves how they wanted in an ever increasing hostile online environment. But frankly, I will die if I have to subject myself to this any longer. The gaslighting that it’s not that bad, that I deserve this, the amount of people who pretend to befriend me to get “gossip” on me and manufacture drama, the hatred, the cruelty, the speculation on my personal life, etc etc. is quite literally driving me to suicide and THAT is what is making me mentally ill if anything is, not anything else. And while people mock me as “weak” and “manipulative” for not going through with it, I consider myself strong for still being here in the face of all of this.
Thank you to everyone who supported me and was kind, but know this isn’t a “just a few haters” issue I can deal with. There are years of history of heinous ever increasing abuse that no matter how many times I tried to tell my story, got lost in the sea of constantly updating social media feeds, so in the end hearsay and rumors telephone'd to death are all that will ever remain. But I am not these things, so I refuse to be here where they can be projected onto me.
I have to move on. I’m sorry for how many my art may have meant something to who are losing access to it. But the world is not ready to deal with the emotions my art stirs within them because they are not ready to face the reality of the world they help create with their fear. People who can't face the cruelty of their actions in the present and who must create dissonance between the harm they cause are not safe for artists such as myself to exist around. Until the world changes, there is nothing else I can do. I will never stop being unapologetically myself, but I will not be doing it here.
I will not be your martyr and I am done being a victim.
TLDR; There will be no comic because people will deliberately go out of their way to try to harm me in increasingly worse ways if I try to make it and have boundaries.
- Vee (March 9, 2023)